Customer Service Representative
Department – Operations/Customer Service
Reports to – Customer Service Team or Department Manager
Classification - Nonexempt
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work - This is a part- or full-time position, and hours of work and days vary and are during Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 8:00 pm ET.
The customer service representative position is responsible for customer service and (a) claims review and processing for account-based employee benefit plans such as flexible spending accounts (FSA) and other related accounts; or (b) payment review and processing for continuation of benefit plans. The representative provides explanations regarding benefits and plan provisions to participants, client contacts and internal team members. The representative provides excellent customer service by interacting with internal team members, clients and participants through phone calls, emails and/or online chat and supports efficient administration of plans and department practices.
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Other duties may be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Examine, review, process, calculate and (a) pay claims based on information, plan design, insurance filings, documentation and reports; or (b) administer payments based on plan information and documentation, in a timely manner
- Acquire and maintain knowledge of general health benefits, insurance carrier, company terminology and processes, especially for plans specific to assigned clients
- Review and interpret insurance plan documentation and itemized information or statements from various insurance carriers and healthcare facilities/providers.
- Comply with plan document provisions, regulations, guidelines and company procedures
- Assist participants, clients or other designated contacts with trouble-shooting, problems or questions via phone or email
- Enter claims or payment information into system and verify accuracy for processing
- Maintain confidentiality and keep department, client and participant HIPAA compliant
- Acquire and maintain knowledge of employee benefits plans and Chard Snyder service offerings
- Maintain relationships through answering first line of phone calls, emails, and/or online chat from participants and clients in a friendly, courteous, professional and timely manner
- Interact with department team members
- Scan documents using copy/scan machine
- Provide administrative department support and team assistance as needed
- Communication and Interpersonal Skills Proficiency
- Customer/Client Focus
- Organizational Skills and Ability to Multitask and Prioritize
- Computer/Technical Capacity
- Problem Solving
- Accuracy and Attention to Detail
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
No travel is expected for this position.
Required Education and Experience
- High school diploma or GED, and further applicable education or equivalent experience.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fraction and decimals, and calculate percentages.
- Ability to read workplace rules and procedures, speak with poise and confidence, using correct English.
- Knowledge of tax-advantaged accounts and benefit plans, insurance, and/or claims or payments.
- Ability and proficiency with Microsoft Office and Excel applications, and claims processing or benefit card systems.
- Ability to handle stressful situations regarding urgent customer needs.
- Six months prior work experience in an office environment and with customer service.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Two plus years prior work experience in an office environment and with customer service and tax-advantaged accounts and employee benefit plans, insurance, and/or claims or payments preferred.
- Advanced proficiency with Excel and database applications, including formatting and formulas.
- Associate’s degree in related degree program.
If interested, please send a copy of your resume to HumanResources@chard-snyder.com